Sunday, September 13, 2009

Where I am

I realize that if you are reading this blog that you have no idea what's really going on with my thesis. This is partially because I have just been using the blog recently to collect sporadic thoughts, meetings, classes and inspirations. Anyway, enough excuses, this is where I am.

I thought about water.
I read a lot about water.
I got mad about the water crisis.
I learned about sustainability vs. resilience.
I thought about thinking global but acting local.
I turned to the NYC waterfront.
I initially learned about watershed and sewage issues.
I read and read, articles and books (which I will talk about in detail another time)
I learned of another issue that is deeply affecting NYC waters.
I learned that every year people are drowning, dying and getting hurt on NYC beaches
I learned of the lack of education support tools for NYC beachgoers
I learned of the lack of an educated beach culture in NYC.
I talked to some people from the parks department
I talked to some lifeguards
I talked to some beachgoers
I talked to some kids
I felt compelled to focus my project on developing needed tools.
I freaked out a bit because this is a big departure from my original concept.
I wrote a survey to get an idea about what kinds of questions I should be asking
I am now trying to get more specific about my design questions and user group.

So, that's where I am. I am letting things resonate in my head right now and am starting to come up with ideas for what kinds of deliverables would be appropriate. I am somewhere between website, psa series, flags, print materials and an interactive map. It's a lot, but at the heart of it all are the PSA ads... so I am going to think about that first. yikes. craziness.